A leading provider of math curricula for grades 6 thru 12 and post-secondary markets was having difficulty delivering new products to market. In addition, they were being excluded from sales opportunities because they lacked a long term roadmap for their products.
The President of the organization asked for interim product executive leadership with the goals of delivering the products currently in the pipeline to market, determining the long term product strategy for the organization, and transforming the existing product teams into a cohesive product organization.
One of the new major products in the pipeline had been stalled for over a year with significant staffing a delivery discipline issues. An evaluation of the work to date was completed, product feature trade-off decisions were made, and a delivery plan was developed. Enhanced project delivery discipline was put in place and the product was in the market within six months.
In addition all the product teams were consolidated into a single product organization. This new organization began work to develop a long term product strategy for the organization. External market research was completed, a customer focus group was established, and target market segments and product were identified. Based upon these priorities, a future state digital architecture was developed along with a 3-5 year product delivery roadmap.
Key Project Outcomes
- A new iPad based learning product was delivered to market, the first new product in over 4 years. Initial product sales were strong with over a dozen first year customers.
- The leadership agreed on long term market segments, product priorities, and a product delivery roadmap that encompassing all products.
- A consolidated product organization was implemented with a longer term plan for transformation and skill upgrades
- Core vendor contracts were renegotiated with a focus on performance incentives for quality and predictable delivery
- Ultimately this effort helped positioned the organization for sale by its holding entity and it was successfully sold
Latest posts by Phil Kelly (see all)
- Five Ideas to Improve your Analytics Returns - October 24, 2018
- 5 Reasons to Take a Portfolio Approach to Analytics - September 27, 2018
- How Small Provider Networks Can Be Data-Driven without Breaking the Bank - May 11, 2018